Wednesday, January 23, 2008

First Day is Over

Well, all the fun of a very uneventful break is finally over. The new semester started today and I taught my first class. Jesus Christ, the temperatures here are freezing! I thought my face was going to fall off while I was just walking to the bus stop. When I got home this afternoon, I had to check to make sure that my important bits were still intact, lol.

You just gotta love the first day of class. It doesn't matter that I've taught this class several times, I still get the jitters on the first day. I was so absent-minded today. I forgot my class roster, and I took the wrong textbook with me to class. Fortunately, I didn't need the textbook. Of course, the laptop LCD projector gave me fits, but that's typical. I'm a medievalist, we're not supposed to be gifted with technology.

Ugh, my poor reef tank looks like ass. All this time, money, and effort put into this tank, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. The fishies are very happy and doing great, but my corals are not doing so well. I had a huge hair algae outbreak this fall that completely covered everything. I gave away a lot of my SPS corals because they weren't looking so great, but then I ended up still losing the ones that were looking great. But, the hair algae has finally subsided, and I just ordered new lightbulbs. Damn, replacing three 400 watt metal halide bulbs isn't cheap! Ouch, that hurt. I'm hoping that the new bulbs will make a difference. I'm also getting the wireless wave controller for my Vortechs, so that'll be a fun toy to play with.

On a related note, I ended up getting two pairs of glasses at the optometrist. They were just running a sale that was too good to refuse. Well, actually, I just got one pair of regular eyeglasses with all the bells and whistles (special thin material, special coatings, etc), then I got a second pair made into prescription sunglasses. Someone stole my last pair of sunglasses because they saw the Armani case. Bastards, I hope they couldn't see straight and walked out into some traffic. I'll keep a closer eye on this pair.

No comments: