Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mid-November Blahs

In general, I really do enjoy Fall, but I hate that feeling I always get in mid-November as the semester is madly rushing towards an end, deadlines are quickly approaches, and the Holidays are just around the corner.

How about those elections!?! For the first time in, oh let's say eight years, I'm very happy with the results. Despite all the current economic woes and war, there's a feeling of optimism for so many of us who believe that things can, and more importantly, *should* be better. Of course, there are those who are doing their best to delegitimize the man before he even takes office, but I refuse to let those voices shaken my faith that we will finally be on the right path.

However, despite the excitement with the presidential election, I'm still very disheartened and disgusted that all the anti-gay legislation passed in every state that had a proposition on the ballot (anti-gay marriage laws in California, Arizona, and Florida, and let's not forget the hateful law in Arkansas that prevents gays from adopting children or becoming foster parents). Really what pisses me off with those who are so anti-gay marriage is that it is really none of their damn business. Here's a little bit of advice, assholes: don't like gay marriage, well then don't marry a homosexual. It's really quite simple. And what's this crap preventing gays from adopting or fostering children? Really? With so many children in need of loving homes, why deny a child the chance to live and grow up in a loving environment. State endorsed hatred and bigotry, reinforced by the religious nuts, has got to come to an end. This is a civil rights issue. How many years ago was it when interracial marriage was illegal? Were the same arguments about preserving the integrity of the American family used? Yeah, I thought so.

Oh, spare me the bit where marriage is a religious institution. If that's the case, how come my brother was married by a judge in a civil ceremony? Is he any less married? It's semantics, and I can guarantee you that the same religious institutions that that flocked together to spread their bigotry against gay marriage would raise the same fuss against gay civil unions. And really, how convenient is it to hide behind your religious convictions to spread your hate and intolerance?

Well, if there's one thing we should have learned from History by now is that the majority never willingly gives up power and rights to the minority--they have to be fought for. I'm personally tired of seeing a majority decide what civil rights a minority can have. It's time for people to start to get really pissed off if we want to see any change in the future.

I know I'm pissed off, are you?

3 comments:

Q said...

Hey, maybe Arkansas should pass a law that gay kids can't be foster children or be adopted. That way we don't have to worry about _any_ queers infiltrating good straight households.

Gawain said...

Good point, Q. They can ship them off to camps so they won't contaminate the population.

MarkS said...

Les, as a Christian, all I can say is I'm sorry.

Somewhere along the line we (Christians) seems to have forgotten the "God is love", "Just not, lest you also be judged", "love the sinner hate the sin", the bit about the splinter in your bother's eye when you have a log in your own, etc., etc., etc.

I have always thought that the term "Christian" meant Christ-like, but I see less and less of him in main stream Christianity. It really bothers me when you and others have to defend yourself to me. I am not God. I am not here to judge.

While I do believe that marriage is a religious institution and do not support gay marriage solely for that reason, so what? If I believe that homosexuality is a sin, which I do, then ANYTHING I do towards that end, that does not pattern Christ's example in the Bible, is done in judgment and is therefore sin in and of itself. The splinter/log thing applies here.

It's funny, but I don't remember reading where Jesus sponsored legislation or picked funerals. Maybe I need to go back and re-read the New Testament...

Mark
a.k.a MarkS from ReefCentral